SCAE Intermediate Barista Course & Qualification
The SCAE (Speciality Coffee Association of Europe) Intermediate Barista Qualification is internationally recognised, counting towards the overall SCAE Coffee Diploma. It is the middle of the SCAE barista qualifications (Foundation, Intermediate and Professional), suitable for baristas with some prior experience, ideally after taking the Foundation qualification. Coffee Community was pleased to be part of the global team that helped develop this qualification and so you can be sure of the very best in knowledge, skills and facilities on the course. The course lasts one and a half days, covering all the key skills required by the qualification, which can be taken in the final afternoon of the two days should you wish (There is an additional cost from the SCAE for administering the exam of €80 for members or €150 for non members, both exclusive of vat).
Who is it for?
The course is suitable for those already familiar with barista work wanting to consolidate their skills. Ideally the course is best taken after the Foundation Barista Course.
The course in detail:
The course covers the key areas needed for the Intermediate Barista curriculum (please feel free to contact us for a full copy of the SCAE Barista Curriculum):
- Understanding your beans: species, origin, processing and roast
- Workspace management: laying out your equipment efficiently
- Fully understanding your “on demand” and traditional grinders
- Effective dosing distribution and tamping
- Understanding how to extract a “balanced” espresso
- Some basic science about milk
- Producing excellent “microfoam“
- Essential latte art skills
- Preparing a full range of drinks on the barista’s menu at speed
- Hygiene and , Health & Safety for baristas
- Customer service for baristas
- Basic machine maintenance
- Understanding your drinks profit margins
- LUNCH (provided each day – let us know any dietary requirements)
The two days include lots of practical experience using a range of quality espresso equipment. Training notes are provided. Students can choose to take the SCAE exam on the final afternoon. There is an additional cost from the SCAE for administering the exam, for successful candidates only (€80 for members or €150 for non members).
The SCAE Coffee Diploma is the most complete system of coffee education offered. It is obtained by gaining 100 points from the students choice of courses in six different ares:
- Introduction to Coffee
- Green Coffee
- Sensory Skills
- Barista Skills
Each are offers courses at three levels:
- Foundation (Offering 5 points towards the Diploma)
- Intermediate (Offering 10 points towards the Diploma)
- Professional (Offering 25 points towards the Diploma)
Coffee Community offers Introduction to Coffee, the full range of barista qualifications and is soon to offer the brewing qualifications.